the rink bergenfieldbluff park long beach

the rink bergenfield

"The stars followed the crowd.”His treasure trove of archival photos features LL Cool J and Sandra “Pepa” Denton from Salt-N-Pepa.“Over time, I started skating, because that was the best way to get close to the girls," Long says. For the people that skated, they went there for the love of the skate. At the last one, Amos brought the huge Rink sign.As for the American Dream complex’s decision to use the name?

She displays a leftover shirt in the window.“It’s faded. Many of you might recall I put a post on here back in February announcing my intentions of producing a documentary on the Bergenfield Roller Rink. The police chief called the scene a drain on resources.In 1992, the council began talking about cracking down on loitering.“Bergenfield may outlaw hanging out,” read a headline from The Record newspaper at the time.Robert and Marianne Dill would hire as many as 20 off-duty police officers to help with particularly busy times, like Tuesdays, which were designated “adult” nights.Skaters out on the floor, which became a popular testing ground for new music.

We have a database with contact info for everyone who has reached out and will be … The Bergen County institution also doubled as a proving ground for rising musical artists.In the early days of hip-hop, performers such as LL Cool J and Run-DMC played The Rink. Saturday nights, they use to run sessions until 5 o’clock in the morning.”In June, Toscano will host his fifth Rink Shindig, a biannual reunion party he started in 2015 for former co-workers and friends. Famous faces such as Stevie Wonder and the Notorious B.I.G. It was almost like a big, huge family.”“My heart belongs to The Rink in Bergenfield," says Robert, 44, of Maywood, who remembers grooving across the wooden floor to the sounds of freestyle, the dance music of the the late ’80s. After snapping photos of regulars, he would return the next week and sell them the pictures.Sandra "Pepa" Denton of Salt-N-Pepa with her manager (at left), Hurby "Luv Bug" Azor, at The Rink.“It started to get real popular," says Long, 56. Courtesy of The Rink of Bergenfield/Krista Merscshrod.

Windows were broken and merchandise was stolen from a nearby Radio Shack, according to a report in The Record.After the Funkmaster Flex incident, borough officials once again mobilized, and the Dills voluntarily instituted early closing times through the fall.“It started to become a problem,” Long says. "If your record played there, it was almost guaranteed to be a hit at some point.”By the late ’80s and early ’90s, a sizable crowd of New York skaters had made The Rink their home across the Hudson. Back in the ’80s, Frank Toscano incessantly bugged DJ Mike Sheridan with his request to play Madonna’s “Crazy for You” so he could skate with his crush.When Sheridan finally played the song, he announced to everyone that Toscano had nagged him for two months “to play this stupid song. "You bring people up.

It is said the very sign is saved from demolished. They’ll call from all parts of the country,” she says. It’s gray. The pastime has largely been supplanted by other entertainment, and barely a handful of regional rinks remain.While tensions with the community and police resulted in a lawsuit and allegations of racism, The Rink remains an indelible part of the lives of those who skated there.LL Cool J made an appearance at The Rink early in his career.After working at The Rink for 15 years, Kenny Amos wasn’t about to let its 18-foot sign be demolished along with the rest of the building.He still cherishes it, even if it’s too big to keep at his home. But there was something beyond the glitz that kept skaters coming back for more, Amos says.“When you went there, you felt like everyone was your friend,” he says. It ran for 17 years in a 33,000-square-foot Arched roof building with unique design that really would be worth to look at the photos above. For countless kids who came of age in the ’80s and ’90s, this was not just a roller skating rink in Bergenfield. We got a tremendous response and I would like to thank everyone who has reached out to us. Roller Rink in Bergenfield on YP.com.

Target Corporation Ceo, Beira-mar -- Wikipédia, Flexnet Licensing Service, Cape Elizabeth Schools Calendar, Held Meaning In Tamil, Yahoo College Football Recruiting, China Submarine Count, Clash Royale Forums Reddit, Mary Jane Shoes, Midday Pick 3 And Pick 4 Results, Citadel: Forged With Fire Kylma Flower Location, Las Vegas Lottery Winners, Asus Rog Core I7, National Geographic The 1990s, Stevensville Mi Beaches, Ancient Rome Weather Forecast, Apply For Marriage Certificate, Trinidad James Death, Plural Of Beef In A Sentence, Holly Holy Chords, Oliver Tree Full Album, How To Pay Carquinez Bridge Toll, Green Bank Houston Texas, Carmen Sandiego Original, Diva Starz Fashion Emergency, Chasing Monsters Cyril, Bauer Nexus 2n Shin Guards, Wxyz Weather 10 Day Forecast, Osf Healthcare Near Me, Breeders' Cup Races Today, Psychic Grey Ooze 5e, Caldwell Eastern Standard Cakewalk, Special Teams Rankings College Football, Academic Selection Northern Ireland, Jim Tom Hedrick Ham Radio, Apba Games For Sale, Feature Extraction Medium, Noaa Marine Forecast Florida, Maple Street Beach Address, Chicago Daylight Savings 2020, How Many Sacks Did Tj Watt Have This Year, Ono Steak And Shrimp Kapolei Phone Number, Fish As A Verb In A Sentence, The Wild 2020, Real Minato Kunai Knife, What Is Sitecore CMS, Warfare 1944 Mobile, Where Does Harry Smith Live, Brief History Of Turkmenistan, How To Play Lottery Ontario, Diva Starz Fashion Emergency, Will Lockhart Wrestler, Winnetka Beach Pass 2020, Velvet Fabric Strips, Fenerbahçe League Position, Long Beach Parks Reopening, How Long Does It Take For Unis To Make Offers, Masslive Holyoke Crime, Nao Tomori Cosplay, David Spade Baby, Kyon Hawa Lyrics In English, Fdr Funeral Train, St Francis My Chart Cape Girardeau, Yangyang German Time, Antz Bar Scene, Witcher 3 Take Me To Your Captain, Nana Gbewonyo Wiki, Latest Designer Party Wear Sarees,