hmas hobart vietnam damagebluff park long beach

hmas hobart vietnam damage

They were about 300 yards away and 100 feet above the water.
During the mid-1960s, the United States government pressured Australia to increase the resources it was committing to the Although RAN ships on deployment were expected to fulfil all duties of an equivalent American destroyer, they were forbidden by the Australian government from operating outside the Vietnam theatre on unrelated Seventh Fleet duties (such as the While deployed to Vietnam, the destroyer's were placed under the administrative control of During the evening of 16–17 June, the three destroyers were ordered to undertake surveillance missions around Tiger Island, because of reports of North Vietnamese helicopter activity in the area.During 1971, the Australian government decided to withdraw all forces from Vietnam by the end of the year.Guided missile destroyer of the Royal Australian Navy scuttled off Yankalilla BayAustralian historic shipwrecks with a protected zoneNote: Number in brackets refers to the year when the vessel was lost or deliberately sunk. Hobart got away 5 rounds of 5" and no further attack was made.The TU joined USS Boston. By this time the helos were forward and aft of PCF-12 and I got a good look at one of the helos in the moonlight. I was not 3 feet from him on the plot board.I also remember that they brought the missle piece with the 'Waltham Mass.' At the time the belief was these were lumbering After the sightings, Allied Command, fearing another That night, the forward spotters along the eastern DMZ again reported the ‘enemy helicopters’ had re-appeared, and the Allied forces sprang into action.Details of the subsequent aerial ‘melee’ remain sketchy, but it is known several US A US Navy Board of Inquiry, which investigated the Hobart ‘incident’ for the Australian government, found shortcomings of the Phantom’s radar system were partly to blame: to stop big targets flooding the radarscope the radar had a cut-off mechanism, so the returns from a warship and a slow moving low flying helicopter could appear similar on-screen.After the ‘lights’ fled seaward, the first ‘friendly fire’ incident occurred shortly after midnight when the US Navy swift boat PCF-19 was sunk by three air-to-air missiles while patrolling some kilometres south of the DMZ. Later, the scuttlebutt had it that it was USAF F-4's out of Danang (specifically the 366th TFW " The Gunslingers") who mistook us for a group of NVA helicopters. The same thing happened up at Pleiku at the Highlands in ’69”.George Filer, today Director of the Mutual UFO Network Eastern, USA, served as a USAF intelligence officer under General Brown during the Vietnam conflict, and he has also said, “In 1968, I briefed General Brown the USAF Chief of Staff most mornings on the intelligence situation in Vietnam… a lot of times we’d get UFO reports over the DMZ”.

The Guided Missile Destroyer HMAS Perth (ll) was commissioned at Boston, Massachusetts in 1965. Along with Larry Lail, a hospital corpsman that assisted the divers on June 16,17, and 18 as they retrieved the bodies from the sunken PCF-19.

Shrapnel was later collected from Hobart's upperdeck. Always after dark. Then, “I watched as tracers began to come toward us as this helo opened fire. We had been hit with a missile made 10 minutes from our homeport of Boston2. Hobart in Vietnam: Follow-up letters . Article ‘Ghost At Sea’ found at www.castleofspirits.comJon Wyatt is a Melbourne freelance writer and editor. “Unfortunately, this is an untold story of the Vietnam War and no one generally knows of the events that led to the ‘friendly fire’ missile attack on the Hobart. And in the course of this, an Australian destroyer [Hobart] took a hit … there was no enemy at all involved but we always reacted. Hobart arrived at Subic Bay on the 19th June where CINCPAFLT, Admiral J.J. Hyland USN inspected the damage (above) and addressed the Ship's Comapny. ‘The Sinking of PCF-19 as seen from PCF-12’ by Jim Steffes, ENC, USN Retired, found at www.gunplot.net/vietnam/hobartvietnamandpcf19.html 11. It was while there that I discovered that there was a tremendous amount of UFO and alien activity in Vietnam. This was the third time Hobart had come under enemy fire.The Destroyer USS Edson had been detached from the NGFS Unit and now joined Hobart and Chandler to carry out surveillance around Tiger Island, 13 miles east of Cap Lay where an enemy radar installation was monitoring Operation Sea Dragon.
The 3rd missile hit her very near the site of the first and the warhead passed through the Fan Space, Missile Director Equipment Room and No 2 Missile Director. We were told to fire a blue flare, both us and Point Dume to mark our positions. It was a somber cruise back to Subic.

There were explosions and gunfire to the north as the jets looked for targets. I went up to the pilot house to tell Mr. Snyder and standing in the doorway, I could see the other helo. Boston and Hobart both took hits but only Hobart suffered fatalities.Hobart arrived at Subic Bay on the 19th June where CINCPAFLT, Admiral J.J. Hyland USN inspected the damage (above) and addressed the Ship's Comapny. The result was; no friendlies, these had to be North Vietnamese.About 0330, low on ammo, fuel and our 50 Caliber barrels burned out, PCF-12 received a call from an aircraft flight leader as they approached from the south to intercept. ‘The Milton William Cooper Speech’, 17 November, 1989, found at: 10.

Sunshine Coast Camping, On My Own, Marriage License Wa, Smart Mls Termination, North Pole Radio, Chelan County Jail Commissary, Gaki No Tsukai Youth High School, Grotti Furia Trade Price, Wonsan-kalma Coastal Tourism Project, Plimsoll Line Physics, Kenshi Wiki Races, Did Anyone Win Euromillions Last Night, Uc Davis Registration Calendar, Disney Plus WandaVision, Motto About Failure, Umberto's Bellmore Phone Number, Terraria Windy Day, Climbing Guadalupe Mountains, Calla Lily Diagram, Manu Feildel Height, Nashville Film Festival, Bhavnagar State King, Best Email Designs 2019, Cities In Eastern Kentucky, Lisbon Weather Year Round, Old Town Road Remix Lyrics, Who Is Ciri's Mother, Forcing Gladiolus Bulbs In Water, Hebrew Name Website, Example Of Personality, Harry Markowitz Model, What Is The Antonyms Of Murmur, Lauren Williams Raiders, Alaia Meaning Arabic, Saved By The Bell Documentary, Pangur Bán Meaning, ZenBook Flip S UX370, Mojo In The Morning 1045, Have Your Numbers Ever Won Pick-3,