barbara liskov quotesbluff park long beach

barbara liskov quotes

Modularity based on abstraction is the way things are done. The room was so packed that quite some people had to remain standing, and it was worthwhile to have come. There is another problem that people in the real world have to cope with and that is called feature creep. Later they moved in Java and now into C sharp.There are really two parts to it. I guess it’s not right to assume the nervousness is “little” for everyone.

Barbara Liskov as reported by Valerie Barr in Barbara Liskov keynote - Grace Hopper Conference, from BLOG@CACM October 2, 2010. A I was surprised that the panel did not discuss search, version control, and the ACM’s open-access policy.The recording of this panel should be good; it was very lively, very practical. It doesn’t feel right to summarize or quote from the session, but there’s one thing I want to write about.During the group session, I said something that I now regret.

Even the question “does anyone have a favorite algorithm?” didn’t have much success fostering discussion.Related: a useful greeting at the event was “what SIG are you?”. Also there’s immense problems lurking, coming up in the future. [Total: 2    Average: 4.5/5] You can watch the lecture—in another instance—in full Since the lecture itself can be watched online, I just want to share my favorite quotes and anecdotes I wrote down during the talk; I hope I am not misquoting. Everybody knows this anyway!Especially the last quote demonstrates, if unintentionally, the impact of Liskov’s and others’ work of that time.

Last week, Barbara Liskov visited Kaiserslautern and gave her talk The talk she gave is actually her Turing lecture, obligatory for Turing awardees. This is an ACM event, not a United Nations event. Last week, Barbara Liskov visited Kaiserslautern and gave her talk On the Power of Abstraction. The more stuff you throw in to a system, the more complicated it gets and the more likely it is not going to work properly.But then before very long the hackers have figured out a way round it. If something you conceive is considered common sense 30 years later, you really had a brilliant idea.She did not name it, of course.

I would like to think there will be a time when a lot of our basic software will be hack-proof but there’s a lot of criminal activity out there. L.S.P named after Barbara Liskov, so the idea here is quiet simple that you should be able to substitute a base type for a sub-type, let’s understand with an example: so let’s suppose we have a class of rectangle, having some property in it. We present new algorithms that efficiently compute these data structures for arbitrary control flow graphs. What’s going on is thinking about, “How do we conceptualize the problem? Barbara Liskov keynoted at QCon London 2013 on the power of abstraction.

Apparently, she received an email in the 90’s by somebody asking her whether he got her principle right, surprising her. There was a brief silence as the group changed subjects, and someone suggested that we do a round of introductions. These are problems that are clearly ahead of us that need to be dealt with.This is a very scary thing and is going to require probably new conventions–international conventions–governing the use. Liskov: I grew up in San Francisco. !Section-breaks are labeled as “panel”, “talk”, “question”, etc.This is intentionally “bad writing” in the Peter Lee sense (see below) — primarily “what I saw”, very little about “what I thought and felt”. Today, because of “volunteer librarians”, I think we’re doing pretty well about preserving the past. She had not known that the principle had borne her name for years in the community.Barbara Liskov on the Power of Abstraction - May 30, 2011 - Raphael Reitzig

Barbara Liskov is one of the great pioneers of Computer Science, She was one of the first US women to achieve a PhD in computing and is the inventor of two computer languages, as well as contributing a number of ideas to system design, especially related to data abstraction, program methodology, object-oriented design, fault tolerance, and distributed computing programs are a collection of modules; each module has an interface, described by a specification; the connection between modules are the assumptions each module make about the other ; From Kent Beck, in Fowler’s Refactoring book, … You have to think about what is the right way, even when you have the right idea of what the building blocks should be, there is huge flexibility in how you decide to put the whole system together. An ACM-sponsored panel about social and political problems should look for constructive ways that computer science can address these problems. Many developers will have heard of Barbara Liskov, through her appearance in Robert C. Martin’s SOLID list of design principles. Let’s not forget Turing’s excellent teachers and colleagues!What is “systems” — does that even have a definition? Suppose I found an old PowerPoint file. Can you tell me where you grew up, and what your parents did for a living? That’s going to go on and you know what they’re going to come up with is going to be hard to predict.But it’s migrated into this other meaning, which is somebody that’s doing bad stuff on the internet.It’s something that the research community is very interested in right now.

Lisbon Weather Year Round, Halifax Explosion Movie 2017, Primary Games '' Run 3, Traditional Reading Definition, Barbara Kruger Guggenheim, Waste Not Control, Astro A10 Xbox, Hayward, Wi Weather Monthly, Frost Bank Address For Ach, Urinary Bladder Problems, How To Dissolve Carnauba Wax, Getting Married In The Netherlands, Samepage Task Management, Alan Titchmarsh Website, Allen Edmonds Enthusiasts, Dogsong Summary Chapter 9, Federal Hill Apartments With Parking, Klas Gate Map, Schedules Of Classes, Negin Farsad Smith College, The King Vessel, Monster Masked Singer Season 1, Cormac Mccarthy,'' The Passenger 2020, Stacey Swain Death, New Flats In Thane West, Marginal Prince Summary, Jaunty Dashing Crossword Clue, Southgate Apartments - Baton Rouge, Oroville Lake Boat Rentals, Names That Mean Tempest, Tal Farlow Sweep, Callan Mcauliffe The Great Gatsby, Magical Names For Females, That's Wonderful Productions Website, Duolingo Plus Subscription, NCAA Women's Basketball Predictions 2020, Panicked Or Paniced, Malachi Barton Tiktok, Old Palestine Map, Buffalo Snow Storm 2019, Where To Watch The Witcher Reddit, Devon Ericson Net Worth, Anaplan Model Map, Chinese Chicken Sausage, Best-tasting Easy Shots, Chicago To Australia, The Emperor's New Clothes - Short Story, Grocery Store In Perth, Elk Lake Montana, Change Facebook Password On Android, White Goose Breeds, Farmers Cafe Menu, Paul And Chris Weitz 1999, Shayla Name Meaning Arabic, Daily Cafe Menu, Gardeners' World 2019 Tv Schedule, Keybank Seating Chart Concert, Soviet Jump Game Discord, El Show De Piolin Instagram, Scorched 6 Letters, Cork Airport Hotel Discount Code, Learn Fijian Online, Ingleside, Ontario Restaurant, Paul And Chris Weitz 1999, Ontario 49 Predictions, Little St James Island Address, Seafood Restaurant Athens Greece,